Printer - HP DesignJet 5000PS
A large format color plotter capable of printing up to 42" wide.
There is an operator's manual stored on the back of the printer.
Paying for Ink
For each print, we would appreciate a $5 donation. Use our donation link, select "Other", and enter "Plotter".
- The ink system is comprised of six Print Heads (~$300 each) and six Ink Cartridges (~$280 each). Replacing all of the cartridges and heads costs about $3,500.
- The printer is old, and will eventually need to be replaced. Raising funds now will help offset the cost of a replacement.
Ink and Print Heads
- See page 253 of the PDF manual for ink, printhead, and printhead cleaner part numbers. Replacements are best looked for on eBay.
- In file explorer, go to \\print\LargeFormat. The driver will install automatically, and will be added to your list of available printers.
- If this does not work, go to \\srv01. Right click on Large Format, and click Connect. The driver will install, and will be added to your list of available printers.
- Download the driver from HP: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-5500-printer-series/82218
- If the link doesn't work, search for a driver for "HP DesignJet 5500 Printer series"
- Add New Printer. Click "Windows" tab. Navigate to "tvcog/print/LargeFormat". Login when prompted (email@example.com, no password)
- Use > Select Software. Choose downloaded driver.
- HP 4520PS has worked for some. Others might work as well.
- Verify the printer is on.
- Verify the screen reads "Ready."
- Verify the paper installed is the correct width for your application.
- Go to Print > Printer Properties. Review the print settings to ensure your print will come out as desired.
Follow the instruction graphics on the front of the printer.
The printer is very picky about alignment. After loading, it may display an "Alignment" error message. It may take several attempts to correctly load the paper.
- Ensure the paper roll is firmly pressed against the right side of the spool. The light blue spool clamp on the left should be firmly against the roll.
- Ensure the paper is aligned with the blue line on the right side.
- Ensure at least 18" of paper is fed through.
- Export your document as a PDF. Open it using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Click Print. Select the large format printer.
- Click Properties.
- Under Size is, click Custom 1.
- Click Custom.
- Change dimensions to 36 inches (or width of your roll) by [length of your document + 2 inches]. Click Okay.
- Under Page Sizing and Handling, verify Actual Size is selected (not fit, scale, or multi-page)
- Click Print.
After Clicking Print
- Printer will test the print heads. Screen will display "Testing Printheads", "Recovering Cyan", "Testing Printheads", "Recovering Light Magenta", etc. This process will take several minutes.
- Printer will align the paper and trim the edge.
- Printing will commence.
If these do not occur, turn the power switch off (back center), and turn it back on. Follow prompts on the screen.